Grow from doctoral student* to researcher
- The doctoral student is expected to be in charge of the dissertation process, from concept paper to final defense.
- The purpose of the chair is to validate your brilliance. Do not mistake the chair for a coach.
- Things happen more quickly and efficiently when the chair is approached with something firm, and in writing.
- Limit the number of iterations—show your last work, not your first!
- Seek permission only when it is required.
- Behave assertively and with maturity.
- Students who take control of the process and move forward with broad guidelines approved by the chair and/or committee are the ones who succeed.
A consultant provides expertise to complete your
* Doctoral students are completing requirements (coursework, comprehensives, and dissertation proposal) toward a doctorate. Doctoral candidates have passed their proposal defense and are conducting the study and preparing for the final defense.